Saturday, January 23, 2010

No Resistance

Now a Jew named Apollos, an Alexandrian by birth, an eloquent man, came to Ephesus; and he was mighty in the Scriptures.  This man had been instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in spirit, he was speaking and teaching accurately the things concerning Jesus, being acquainted only with the baptism of John; and he began to speak out boldly in the synagogue. But when Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him aside and explained to him the way of God more accurately.  Acts 18:24-26

As I’ve read through Acts, I’ve been struck by the number of people who were being obedience to what they know.  Apollos must be added to that list.  He knew there was more that just being a good Jew – he knew there was a Messiah and a need for repentance, and he preached it passionately. 

I fancy myself to be pretty passionate about what I know.  I struggle to obey it, but I truly do long to do so and I want to share it with others.

As I read this passage, though, I noticed something beyond being faithful to what we already know.  I noticed a lack of resistance to learning more. 

When I am secure and passionate in what I know, I can be a little testy when someone tries to come along and tell me I don’t know enough and need to learn more.  It’s not always my response, but the truth is that it should never be my response when the greater learning is of God. 

So, I am challenged to be more faithful in the learning.  To be more faithful in the next step of growth.  To welcome it with excitement and move right along joyfully, willing to be passionate about what I know but always hungering to learn more. 

No comments: