Monday, March 1, 2010

Witness

For God whom I serve in my spirit in the preaching of the gospel of His Son, is my witness as to how unceasingly I make mention of you… Rom 1:9

My brain is trying to wrap around the concept of calling God as my witness for anything.  This is quite the bold statement.  God knows it all.  He knows my heart.  He knows my actions.  He knows the motivation behind those actions.  He knows how much I fight for my own rights – how much more concerned I am for my own life than for others.

Could I really call God as my witness?

If I were to be on trial on the hour, every hour, every day for all I had done the previous hour, would I really be bold enough to call God as my witness?  He holds my actions up against the standard of His Word – His Son.  That’s a pretty powerful standard.

As I passionately move through this life, I long to stand in purity before those I seek to reach, to whom I seek to minister.  The ultimate standard of that purity belongs to God.  I am challenged to spend each day – one day at a time, even one hour at a time – making sure that I stand clean before Him.  If I live my life with Him as my witness and defender, then I will succeed in honoring Him in all I do.  That is an idea that absolutely thrills my heart.

No comments: