Monday, March 22, 2010

Ready…or Not

Now when Pharaoh had let the people go, God did not lead them by the way of the land of the Philistines, even though it was near; for God said, “The people might change their minds when they see war, and return to Egypt.”  Hence God led the people around by the way of the wilderness to the Red Sea; and the sons of Israel went up in martial array from the land of Egypt.” Ex. 13:17-18

The Israelites thought they were ready.  The marched out of Egypt in full battle gear, high on the adrenalin of recent events.  They just knew they were ready to take on whatever faced them.  But God knew better.  He knew what they’re reaction would be when Pharaoh pursued them, much less what it would be if they were to face opposition from any other corner.  He knew.

There are a lot of times when I think I’m ready.  There are so many things I’m excited about – so many things I’m passionate about.  So, I gear myself up to prove to God that I’m ready.  The truth is, He knows what I am about to face.  He alone knows whether or not I am truly ready for the challenges that are coming from the very things I long to dive into.  But when I think I’m ready and He delays because He knows I’m not, I get frustrated.  Discouraged.  Impatient.  Insecure.

I am challenged to trust Him with joy and peace when things I think I’m ready for are delayed.  He is never late, whether in provision or in the use of my life.  Will I put my faith in God’s wisdom to open doors when He knows I’m ready?

No comments: