Saturday, March 27, 2010

Living the Comfort

The Law came in so that the transgression would increase; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, even so grace would reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Rom 5:20-21

Doug is reading a book that goes through the Heidelberg Catechism, one of which we had never heard.  The first question of the catechism asks what is our only comfort in life and death?  The answer, of course, is Christ, thanks to His death and resurrection.  Of course, there is much more depth to the answer, but the question I want to get to is question number two.

Q.  What must you know to live and die in the joy of this comfort?

A. Three things: first, how great my sin and misery are; second, how I am set free from all my sins and misery; third, how I am to thank God for such deliverance.

This morning as I read the verses in Romans, I was filled with such comfort and peace!  I cannot put into words the beauty of knowing that through all of the warring in my heart and soul, God’s grace toward me only increases.  Even while I rejoice in that fact, I long to tune my life to live more and more in line with the righteousness which has been imputed to me. 

But, I realized as the peace settled over me that I do not live continually in the joy of that comfort.  That’s what brought me back to Q&A of  the Heidelberg Catechism.  My challenge is to remember.  When I struggle with the reality of my sinful behavior tomorrow,  I want to be reminded of these verses and statements – to live in the joy that the comfort of His immeasurable grace brings.  May my life of peace bring honor to Him such that others long for the same joy I own!

No comments: