Saturday, March 20, 2010

Friendship His Way

Now if the household is too small for a lamb, then he and his neighbor nearest to his house are to take one according to the number of persons in them; according to what each man should eat, you are to divide the lamb. Ex 12:4

This verse grabbed me early in the week and has not let go.  There are many thoughts that have been stirred within me related to these words, but the one that has persisted most strongly is that of interaction.

I love to have friends.  I love to be friends.  I hate to make friends.   It’s as if I have no clue how to interact with people I don’t know.  And yes, I do realize that this is not a positive personality trait for a minister’s wife – it is a realization I have struggled with for years.

The truth is that I have tried to force conversations and interactions to no avail.  I just do not know how to do it.  But, as I have read and pondered Exodus 12 in preparation for this week’s Sunday school lesson, I have realized that I just might be approaching it all wrong.  I am approaching it based on my own capabilities – which are rather lacking, obviously.

In Ex 12:4 God gives clear directions on how His people are to interact the night of the Exodus.  He tells them exactly how to find those with whom they are to share the Passover meal.

I am challenged to remember to seek God and interact His way.  He established friendship.  He established community.  He designed us to need the encouragement of one another.  But, if we try to do it our own way, we end up with failed relationships.  The best relationships I have are ones that just “happened” because God orchestrated them.  I am challenged today to seek Him as I struggle through interactions.  He knows exactly where He wants me to be and with whom He desires me to interact.

No comments: