Thursday, March 4, 2010

Community

I have been trying to mull over Romans 1:9-13 for several days now, and it has been challenging me greatly.  On Sunday, it was about passion and unceasing prayer.  Monday it was about my witness.  Tuesday through today there have been thoughts that I haven’t really even been able to put into words.  I tried yesterday, but struggled.  I think today I’ve finally been able to narrow it down – it’s community.

I long to be close to my church family.  I long for the friendship and support.  The love and the intimacy that comes from feeling like they are a family, especially considering the geographical distance of my biological family.

But, Paul’s words to the Romans have challenged me to think about community with my church family in a deeper sense.  It’s not about friendship.  It’s not about family.  It’s not about being there in time of joy, sorrow, or need.  Yes, all of those things are important, but frequently I make them the be all and end all of the relationship.  In truth, they are the bi-product.

So, what is the foundation of community?  According to these verses, the foundation is an intense passion to encourage growth in one another.  Paul had never met the Roman church, but he had such a longing to be with them.  He had a passion that drove him to his knees continually for them.  He had an intense love for them – for people he’d never established a friendship with, people who had never physically met his needs or cried on his shoulder in time of sorrow.  All that existed between them was a hunger for growth together. 

That is the culmination of what has been challenging my heart this week – I am challenged to have that passion for my church.  To long for community in growth and to be passionate about seeing it happen.  So passionate that I am on my knees continually for my church family.  So passionate that I do not rest until we as a church family are growing together.  That is love, and from that will come the beauty of fellowship that I crave. 

No comments: