Sunday, March 21, 2010

Glad in the Seeking

Let the heart of those who seek the Lord be glad. Ps 105:3b

This doesn’t say, “Let the heart of those who find the Lord be glad.”  It uses the word “seek.”  In all honesty, when I’m seeking something, I’m not usually glad.  I’m frustrated.  Why?  Because I don’t truly have the guarantee that I’m going to find it. 

The problem is that I impart that same frustration onto seeking God.  It could be seeking His understanding of what I’m reading in His Word, seeking His will for some new life challenge, seeking His provision, seeking His presence, or seeking anything else of Him.  Whatever the case, I feel a struggle and a desperation in seeking Him, not a gladness.

Unlike things I seek in this world, there will never come a time when I will not find God if I am truly seeking Him with my whole heart.  That is guaranteed in verses like Jeremiah 29:13, and that is why my heart should be glad when I seek Him, from the moment I begin until the moment He is found.   And that is where my challenge lies – accepting the truth that He will always be found and experiencing the gladness of heart that accompanies that truth. 

No comments: