Sunday, March 14, 2010

He Will Be Glorified

I’m reading Romans and Knowing God by J.I. Packer right now.  The combination can make for some slow, ponderous reading – especially considering that I try to read both pretty early in the morning. 

I can’t really point to exactly what in Romans or in Knowing God stirred up the thoughts in my heart and mind today, but it was somewhere through the course of Romans 3 (a discussion of the fact that we are all guilty but justified through the gift of Christ) and chapter nine in the book (a discussion of the wisdom of God). 

Whatever the source, the thoughts invading my heart and mind were powerful.  First came the reminder that God’s character is not in the least affected by my beliefs or actions.  He is who He is, period.  He doesn’t need me to believe or act properly to allow Him to maintain His character.  Nor does He need me to believe or act properly to allow Him to reveal His character to this world through me. In fact, He can reveal Himself clearly even through my failures if He so chooses!  He proved His power to perform that miracle numerous times throughout Scripture. 

But, He still desires that I walk in a right relationship with Him.  Daily.  Hourly.  Every moment.  As I sit here drowsily trying to take in what He has presented through His Word, I am reminded that His righteousness covers me.  Period.  Not because of my actions or beliefs, but because of who He is.  Because of Christ’s sacrifice.  And He wants me to live that out daily.

Such incredible truth requires action on my part.  It requires a growth that I frequently resist – a continual putting aside of myself to glorify Him.  He will be glorified through me.  That’s the goal of my life.  Whether it will be done through my obedience or through my stubbornness is really my only choice in the matter.

Will I really acknowledge that this life is not in the least about me?  Will I truly submit to the truth that it is, in reality, all about making much of Him?  That is my challenge.  And that, although corrupted by my flesh, is truly my heart. 

No comments: