Sunday, May 9, 2010

My Weakness, His Strength

And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God.  For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.  I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.  1 Cor 2:1-5

I have always firmly believed that if I’m going to be someone other people turn to for advice or help (something I have always loved to do), I have to be strong myself.  What person would go to a counselor who is falling apart in his own personal life?  What advice could that person truly give?  So, I have tried to live my life with an air of togetherness.  If I have it all together – if I seem perfect – then people will be able to trust me.  If I air my own struggles, then they will not find me reliable.

Paul had the opposite opinion, and he had it right.  Human strength has limits.  Human wisdom has confines.  Human understanding knows bounds.  But, God’s does not.  Paul recognized that no one needed anything he could give, because his own giving would have limits.  Instead, they needed what God could give.  Yet, Paul also knew that he could still be a vessel! 

God has been chipping away at my “strong” image lately.  He has let me know in no uncertain terms that I must show vulnerability and need.  I have been so frightened of doing so – would people ever be able to trust me again?  Yes!  And more!  Why?  Because it is not my human frailty in which they will be trusting.  Instead, they will see that I rely on the unending supply of God’s strength and they will know that they, too, can rely on Him.

Being there for others has, in truth, been about me helping them up until now.  But, that must change.  If it isn’t about them coming to know Christ, either for the first time or in a more intimate way, then my help is useless.  So, I must come in my own weakness so that God’s strength will shine beyond a shadow of a doubt. 

No comments: