Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Eternal Significance

Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each man’s work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work.  If any man’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward.  If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.  1 Cor 3:12-15

What drives the things I do each day?  There are certain things I can’t get away from simply due to the fact that I have a family – cooking, cleaning, maintaining our home.  But, even those things are not without eternal significance.  Even through those things I can either choose to simply do them because they are expected and needed for our survival or I can open my eyes to the eternal impact those activities have.

But then there are other things – things that I spend much of my time trying to accomplish.  Are they eternal?  Even as I type this, I am challenged to consider my computer tasks.  Do they have eternal significance? 

In the end, any of my hard work that is only accomplished for earthly purposes is like wood, hay, and straw.  It will not survive the test of fire.  It will burn away.  I am challenged to do what I do with God’s kingdom in mind, not this earth.

Lord, please open my heart and mind to have your view of the tasks before me each day.  May I learn to have an eternal kingdom mindset that all I do be in line with thoroughly enjoying You and furthering Your kingdom.  

No comments: