Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Bold Fool

Where is the wise man?  Where is the scribe?  Where is the debater of this age?  Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?  For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.  For indeed Jews ask for signs and Greeks search for wisdom; but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness, but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.  1 Cor 1:20-24

It’s funny the things that strike me when I read certain verses.  When God is working on my heart on a specific issue, it seems to be illuminated everywhere. 

That has definitely been the case this morning.  God has reminded me of how easily I tend to be intimidated.  Intimidated by intelligence, “wisdom”, and a good argument.  I feel that I can’t hold my own because, to be honest, my brain doesn’t seem to dredge up information at the appropriate time.  It always seems to wait until at least thirty minutes after the fact, and then I’ll think of all sorts of brilliant things to say!

So I frequently say nothing at all.

I am not called to be a brilliant debater – to have all of the words at the right moment.  I’m called to proclaim the truth to the world and allow God to work His wonders upon the hearts of those whom He has called.  As long as I speak and shine His message in truth, it really doesn’t matter how foolish it sounds to this world.  In fact, it should sound foolish to many.  If it makes sense to the world – if it is arguable by their standards – then it is not His truth.

Oh, Lord, may I have the boldness to proclaim and not worry about being foolish!

No comments: