Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Christ, Not Comfort

To this present hour we are both hungry and thirsty, and are poorly clothed, and are roughly treated, and are homeless; and we toil, working with our own hands; when we are reviled, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure; when we are slandered, we try to conciliate; we have become as the scum of the world, the dregs of all things, even until now.  1 Cor 4:11-13

These aren’t the happiest verses in the Bible, to be sure.  In context, they follow up a bit of sarcasm as Paul is trying to make a point to some very self-assured and arrogant Corinthians.  And in the context of my life this morning, these words tugged a bit – no, a lot. 

What am I willing to endure personally in order to minister?  If I am honest with myself, not much, especially if the ministry situation is not an easy one.  I have frequently found myself saying that if I can just have a nice haven at home, I can endure much more in a difficult ministry situation. 

In other words, “Lord, make me comfortable at home, and I’ll do whatever You ask with whomever You ask.” 

In truth, I don’t want to be uncomfortable.  I want our home to be a shelter and a haven in the midst of the struggles of ministry.  But, I am challenged to be willing to surrender all comfort for the sake of the gospel, whether it is in ministry to the poorest or the richest, the most open or the hardest of hearts.  That is not an easy challenge to consider, and it is one I’d rather just silence and put aside.  But I will not.  I will pray instead that my family learns to find a haven in Christ Himself regardless of our circumstances.  For the truth is that a comfortable home is fleeting, but the arms of our Savior will never fail. 

No comments: