Monday, May 24, 2010

Mastered

All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable.  All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by anything. 1 Cor 6:12

The first part of this verse is hard enough – utilizing discernment to determine what I should leave off simply because it is not profitable for the furtherance of the kingdom of God.  But, then comes the second half of the verse.

How many things do I allow to master me?  Emotions.  Schedules.  Activities.  Desires.  Food.  There are so many things that I want or need.  There are so many things that are a part of my day.  But, the question comes down to mastery.  Am I mastering all of these things, utilizing them as I seek to glorify my Savior?  Or, are these things mastering me?

Far too often, I become the slave.  Slave to my earthly desires.  Slave to food.  Slave to a schedule.  Slave to the computer.  Slave to the expectations of someone other than my Lord. 

Paul is pretty determined – I can almost hear emphasis in these words.  “I will not be mastered…”  I am challenged to have the same determination – no master but Christ Himself. 

No comments: