Saturday, February 6, 2010

To Whom Do I Listen?

I’ve been reading in Acts about Paul’s return trip to Jerusalem as he is closing out his third missionary journey.  I remember knowing that he had been warned multiple times of the arrest awaiting him in Jerusalem, but I don’t know that I ever realized just how much warning there really was. 

I guess the biggest thing that is hitting me, especially as I have read chapters 20 and 21, is the different responses to the warnings.  Paul seems to be the only one who receives it as preparation.  Everyone else perceives it to be a warning for Paul to avoid the danger.  But, he goes with his own perspective and walks straight into his arrest in Jerusalem.

If I am honest with myself, I much confess that I don’t listen to the Spirit well.  I can’t help but think that, if I were in Paul’s shoes, I might not have gone on down to Jerusalem.  So many were saying, “Don’t go!”  I think I would have been inclined to listen to them and take their advice rather than listening directly to the Spirit.

This definitely challenges my growth.  It challenges me to greatly improve the direct lines of communication between myself and the Lord.  True, He does use His people to interact with me, but the only way I can truly know if I am hearing Him or simply the whims of others is to be in close communion with Him.  I so greatly need to grow in that communion.  Only then can I discern what He is truly guiding me to do. 

No comments: