Sunday, February 14, 2010

The End Goal of Learning

To say I have struggled lately would be an understatement.  It has seemed that no amount of prayer or study has been effective.  It’s just been routine, going through motions.  It’s a place I’ve been many times before and, as before, I am not thrilled about now.  I’ve been crying out to God, asking Him to get me out of this place!

And He is working on it.  Oh, what joy!

You see, I have been trying to learn and grow for the purpose of pouring out.  I want to teach.  I want to encourage growth in others.  I want to be the tool God uses to draw others to Him.  It is a desire that is in line with God’s Word, but I have been approaching it badly.  I have been approaching it as the reason for my learning.

This morning the Lord used a book I’m reading – Knowing God by J. I. Packer – to point me back to some incredible truths found in Psalm 119.  The reminder was like a river of cool, fresh water pouring over my parched soul. 

Psalm 119 emphatically proclaims that the reason for my learning is not about growing others.  It’s about growing my relationship with Christ.  Ministry to others does not pour forth from my learning – it pours forth from a vibrant and growing relationship with my Lord and Savior.  So, if the ministry is my end goal, then I will truly wither, as I have been.  But, if knowing and becoming like Christ is my end goal, then my life will flourish and the ministry which holds my passion will flow naturally.

And as I feel restored, so I feel challenged.  Thank You, my Lord!

No comments: