Saturday, February 20, 2010

Shake it Off!

But when Paul had gathered a bundle of sticks and laid them on the fire, a viper came out because of the heat and fastened itself on his hand.  However he shook the creature off into the fire and suffered no harm.  Acts 28:3, 5

Paul was a prisoner.  He had been so for quite some time.  Meanwhile, he had been on a sea voyage that had been a struggle pretty much from the very beginning.  And now, here he is, shipwrecked on the island of Malta, just working to help everyone dry off and get warm. 

And a poisonous snake comes out and bites him.

At this point, I’d be pretty frustrated.  I would be asking, “What next, God?!”  I’d be griping and complaining that I just couldn’t handle any more.  Little things would be getting to me – and this snake bite is far from a little thing.

But Paul just shook the creature off as if it were nothing more than a little hindrance to an otherwise perfect day.

Oh, how I need to learn to put things into the proper perspective.  I get so worked up about circumstances.  I want everything to flow perfectly.  But sometimes, God works most strongly in the situations that seem to be the most difficult. How can I be ready for His work if my attention is focused on how uncomfortable and frustrated I am?

Paul wasn’t phased by a snake bit.  I am phased by much lesser things.  I am challenged to learn how to just shake them off!

No comments: