Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Just Obedience

There are some mornings when I really do hear God's voice, but it doesn't seem that there is anything that quite fits on this challenge blog.  This morning appeared to be one of those mornings.  I had a great journal entry, and Proverbs thoughts just seemed to flow.  But, I didn't expect to have anything to post here. 


But, as the morning has progressed and I have chewed on some of the things I read this morning, a segment of a sentence has stuck with me.  I don't like incomplete quotes, but the sentence from which I want to quote is an entire paragraph.  So, I will do my best to do it justice. 


"What, then, does the activity of knowing God involved?  Holding together the various elements involved in this relationship...we must say that knowing God involves, first, listening to God's Word and receiving it as the Holy Spirit interprets it, in application to oneself..." J. I. Packer from Knowing God (emphasis mine)

There is much more here, namely the whole discussion regarding the elements of the relationship between ourselves and God.  But, what has hammered itself into my heart and mind this morning was this quote and the reality that I don't always focus solely on the application of His teaching to myself.  I think, "Yes, this is awesome!  It will definitely help me grow!  Oh, and I think ________ needs to hear this, too!  I wonder how I can share it..." 

Please hear my heart and know that my motives are not bad.  It excites me to see people grow!  But, having good motives does not always mean that I have good practices.  Just as God can teach me in His own way, so He can teach others. 

God does work through me to impact other lives, if I am wiling to let Him.  But, it is through no responsibility or intentional action of my own.  The only intentionality I should express is that of taking His Word and walking in obedience to it.  Period.  God's usage of my obedience is what impacts others - not my words.

And the greater joy in this is that much of the pressure I put on my own shoulders can be removed because I am not responsible for others.  I am responsible for my obedience.  If my obedience is full, then others will come to the Lord and grow because of it.  If my obedience is lacking, so will the fruit of my life. 


So, my challenge is to no longer split my focus between my own obedience to the things the Lord lays before me and the sharing of those things.  My challenge is to focus fully on my own need to obey.  Not selfishly, but in a Christ-centered manner.  And the reward will be the delight of watching Him use me to impact others without the hindrance of my attempts to "help."

No comments: