Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Standing Out

Now Saul , still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest, and asked for letters from him to the synagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any belonging to the Way, both men and women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem.  Acts 9:1-2 (NASB)

I've read these verses many, many, many times.  But this morning I noticed something.  Luke specifies that both men and women have attracted Saul's attention. 

I had to stop and chew on that one.

In New Testament times (and even now in many countries), women had no rights.  They were meant to be wives and mothers, and without a husband they typically could not support themselves.

Having that in mind, it makes sense that Luke would have to specify that women were being targeted as well as men - otherwise the automatic assumption would be that the men would be the only ones targeted.  Why mess with the women too?

These women were targeted as well because they were being just as bold an effective in sharing the truth of Christ as the men were!

And that is what got me. 

So often I live my life in such a way that I would easily escape notice.  I don't make a big splash.  I am not a "danger."  But, oh, how I want to be.  Not in a way that makes me the center of attention.  That's not really what I mean.  I don't like to be the center of attention.  I would truly rather be effective in the background.  Sure, I like credit for what I do, but I don't like the spotlight.  So, I can honestly say that the "big splash" I want to make has nothing to do with being in the spotlight.  But, if someone is going to come through and target those who are truly making a difference for the kingdom of God, I want my life to be lived in such a way that I would be a target! 

Right now no one is targeting people who are making a difference for Christ in my proverbial neck of the woods.  So, now is the perfectly safe time to stand out!  I know it will not always be safe, but I want to be in the habit of standing out so that when the safety is gone, the habit is firmly entrenched.

Here's to standing out!

No comments: