Wednesday, December 30, 2009

My Response

A vision appeared to Paul in the night: a man of Macedonia was standing and appealing to him, and saying, "Come over to Macedonia and help us." When he had seen the vision, immediately we sought to go into Macedonia, concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel to them.Acts 16:10-11

And on the Sabbath day we went outside the gate to a riverside, where we were supposing that there would be a place of prayer; and we sat down and began speaking to the women who had assembled. Acts 16:13


As I read this passage again this morning, I had to wonder how I would have reacted if I were Paul. I would probably have stopped and analyzed. Macedonia wasn't a city – it was a region. How could I just go to Macedonia? Wouldn't I need more information?


I can just hear myself, “ Okay, Lord, exactly where in Macedonia would you want me to go?”


While I was waiting around to hear the city name, I would study the culture, the language, and the plan of action for ministering to the Macedonians. I would try to find contacts in the area to help me out.


Paul and his companions set out immediately. They didn't waste a bit of time. They jumped right in with both feet, not even exactly knowing where they would begin to teach (see verse 13)! They just went.


Now, please don't get me wrong. Mission agencies all over do a great job of preparing missionaries for their work, and the planning and preparation phases are helpful and good. I'm not criticizing that.


I am, as is the purpose of this blog, challenging myself. I am challenging myself to act immediately. I don't do that a lot. I think, process, study, and frequently talk myself down or out of things.


I am challenged to choose to act, and to act immediately, when given direction. And somehow I have a feeling I'll be given more clear and frequent direction the more I'm willing to act on what has been given me already.



No comments: