Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Redirecting

And he was traveling through Syria and Cilicia, strengthening the churches.  Acts 15:41 (NASB)

So the churches were being strengthened in the faith, and were increasing in number daily.
They passed through the Phrygian and Galatian region, having been forbidden by the Holy Spirit to speak the word in Asia; and after they came to Mysia, they were trying to go into Bithynia, and the Spirit of Jesus did not permit them; and passing by Mysia, they came down to Troas. A vision appeared to Paul in the night: a man of Macedonia was standing and appealing to him, and saying, "Come over to Macedonia and help us."Acts 16:5-9 (NASB)


According to Acts 15:36, Paul's original intention was definitely to go and check on all the church's and strengthen them.  But, he also longed to share the gospel to many more who had not yet believed.  Twice, however, he was redirected in his attempts to preach the gospel until he was finally led to Macedonia.

I like to have direction and vision.  I like to have a plan.  And, oftentimes, God uses that sense of vision and plan to get me pointed in the right direction.  But, I frequently get going on my plan and then think I can just keep going on the plan.  It's not necessarily that I consciously think I don't need the Lord's hand on it anymore.  I just know the plan.  So, I'm okay, right?

Paul had to rely each step of the way to know exactly where God did and did not want him preaching.  He had to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit in all things.

It's okay to have a plan, but it is so necessary for me to be sensitive to God's redirecting at any time.  I need to be more reliant on His voice for my next step than on my plan.  That might mean I can't be in my comfort zone of having it all laid out ahead of time, but it will also mean that it's not nearly as difficult for God to direct me through a turn and a change. 


No comments: