Sunday, December 20, 2009

Sensitivity

But they shook off the dust of their feet in protest against them and went to Iconium.Acts 13:51 (NASB)

But the Jews who disbelieved stirred up the minds of the Gentiles and embittered them against the brethren.  Therefore they spent a long time there speaking boldly with reliance upon the Lord, who was testifying to the word of His grace, granting that signs and wonders be done by their hands.  Acts 14:2-3 (NASB)

There are times when I face frustration in serving the Lord. I don't see results, and I just want to shake the dust off my feet like Paul and Barnabas did Acts 13:51. But, then they went on to Iconium and had issues as well. Pretty severe issues. Two verses later we find that they had to flee the city because of violence planned against them.

But, up until that point, instead of making them move on from this city, the challenges caused them to become more bold and more entrenched.

What was the difference?

I think the answer can be found in the Christmas story. Check out Luke 2:26-27. Simeon had no idea when the Messiah would show up, or even how He would show up. So, he waited. Not only that, he was sensitive to the Holy Spirit.

I am challenged to be sensitive. To walk through my days letting the will of the Lord be my first priority with "my" day falling in line with the Spirit's guidance rather than establishing my day and then fitting God's will in when it works with my plans. Then I will know when to shake off the dust and when to entrench; when to stay home and when to go to the temple. When to look for a king and when to be ready for a baby.

No comments: