Monday, April 18, 2011

Preparation & Prayer

I love the story of Hezekiah, king of Judah. Today as I read of the seige of Jerusalem by Assyria during Hezekiah’s reign, two things stood out to me.

1. Hezekiah prepared. Years before the siege, he began his rule with a renewed focused on trust in and obedience to God and God alone (2 Kings 18:1-7). He became a trustworthy and reliable king to the people. So, in 2 Kings 18:36, we find that when the king anticipated the verbal attacks from the Assyrian commander and commanded the people to not say a word in response, they trusted and obeyed.

2. Hezekiah prayed. Before the siege ever began, he had tried to appease the Assyrians with silver and gold (2 Kings 18:14-16), and he saw that accomplished nothing. So, he didn’t try to go reason with them more. He also didn’t try to go bolster the people again. He knew that now was the time for prayer (2 Kings 19:1, 14). And God, pleased with the fact that Hezekiah had come to Him, answered.

Two things I am challenged with:

1. I know tough times, challenges, and attacks are coming. But, do I prepare? Do I prepare myself? Do I prepare my children? Do I prepare jointly with my husband? Am I prepared in such a way that, whatever may happen, we are immediately able to fall back on the Lord?

2. What is my first response in a time like this? Usually it is to fret and worry verbally at least a little bit, letting off a little steam before I lay it all before the Lord. What if I were to turn to the Lord first? How much quicker would I find His peace and wisdom to deal with every challenge?

I am challenged to, like Hezekiah, be both prepared and prayerful, no matter what the attack may be.

No comments: