Monday, April 25, 2011

Let Go

By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was offering up his only begotten son; it was he to whom it was said, “In Isaac your descendants shall be called.” He considered that God is able to raise people even from the dead, from which he also received him back as a type. Hebrews 11:17-19

Oh how much I need to learn about faith. When I reread passages like Hebrews 11, I am reminded just how much I still have to learn.

As I read these verses about Abraham today, I was confronted with the reminder that I don’t let go of things well. Several years ago I first heard Rebecca St. James sing the song “I Can Trust You.”  The lyrics resonated so deeply in me, reminding me that I fight that exact same battle of trust on a daily basis.

Reading Abraham’s story in Genesis reminds me that Abraham struggled with those same trust issues himself. But, in the end he always came out faithful. And because of that, we find these verses about him in Hebrews.

I am challenged to take a daily analysis of what I am refusing to surrender. And, it has to be daily. In fact, it probably needs to be hourly. I cling to so much. If I cling to the littlest and most insignificant things, how hard would I cling were I to be placed in Abraham’s situation?

Not only do I need to analyze what I cling to, but then I need to take active steps to let go. Daily. To make it a habit that stays with me for the rest of my earthly life.

I can trust Him. Period. Even if it means letting go of that which seems to hold the key to all I’ve been promised. I can trust Him. 

No comments: