Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Perseverance

(Just a note – the tornadic activity from last night’s storm system was much less of an event than was expected. Praise the Lord! We even got a good night’s sleep without only a few brief interruptions – none of which required taking cover. )

Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us. Hebrews 12:1

Now that I’m at the end of the faith chapter, I read this verse and have to stop to truly ask myself:

What is it that keeps me from being like these people?

What are my encumbrances? What sin do I let get in the way? There is much that I struggle with, but one of the first things that comes to mind is my lack of perseverance. Hebrews 11:32-38 provides a horrifying list of the things some of these heroes endured. We can read their stories and know they had rough times – days when they wanted to give up, quit, and even die to avoid any more of the challenge of their ministry, ranging anywhere from unheeding listeners to physical torture. But, they didn’t give up. They persevered.

I, on the other hand, have a tendency to be strong to a point and then just fall apart. I lack in perseverance. I start off relying on God’s strength. Then I pull back and try to rely on my own. But when mine fails me, I don’t lean on God’s again – I just falter. I don’t persevere.

If I want to be like these heroes, I have to learn to persevere in God’s strength. That is my active challenge. That is the first step to heed the instructions of Hebrews 12:1.

No comments: