Thursday, April 14, 2011

Act

In the first year of his reign, in the first month, he opened the doors of the house of the Lord and repaired them. 2 Chron 29:3

I absolutely love 2 Chron 29-30. Every time I read these chapters, I am filled with excitement. But, even my great excitement is only a miniscule portion of the excitement that must have been felt by the participants of this fantastic Passover celebration.

And it was all because one man was obedient to go ahead and do what he knew was right without hesitation.

Hezekiah didn’t waste any time when his reign started. He jumped right in and reopened the temple because he knew that was the right path. He didn’t wait for all of the priests and advisors to come on board with his plan. In fact, the priests had to rush to consecrate themselves just to catch up with the plan! Hezekiah knew what he needed to do and did it. He acted. He moved. And the results were phenomenal.

True, he was a king with a lot of influence, but I still have to wonder: what would happen if I would move with such determination? There are a lot of iffy scenarios before me that leave me wondering what path is right. But, there are many more things of which I am certain. And yet, I don’t act on those things.

I am challenged to change that. There are enough things I know I can do – there’s no reason to be stymied by those things I don’t know. I can still act. There were a lot of things Hezekiah still had to figure out, but he started where he knew he had to start. May I be determined enough to do the same.

No comments: