Sunday, April 17, 2011

Futility vs. Fulfillment

As I continue through Hebrews, it’s hard to really formulate much in my journal writing. But, as I process through Hebrews 10, a few things are coming together in my mind.

For several chapters, the author of Hebrews has been discussing things that really are foundational to our faith – things that are almost second nature to me. The priesthood of Christ. No need for blood sacrifice anymore. The abolition of the division between the Holy Place and the Most Holy Place, therefore creating an open and direct channel between us and God. While these things were new to Jewish believers and went against the grain of all they had believed for generations, they are actually the concepts that our understanding is built upon.

The first thing that came to mind was that these concepts would not be our foundation were it not for teachings such as Hebrews. It’s easy to take the familiar for granted, but I am reminded to be continually thankful for the provision of God’s Word, no matter how familiar it may be. The fact that it is familiar is based upon great sacrifice in and of itself! Many people gave their lives that I may have this Bible.

But then I finally managed to press deeper – something my brain has not been greatly willing to do this week, thanks to a lovely head cold. When I pressed deeper, I saw so many similarities between the Jewish Christians of the early church and our own church. We claim to believe in the once-and-for-all sacrifice of Christ Jesus, but we live as if we still cling to the old sacrificial system; maybe not in blood sacrifice, but in sacrifice of deeds. We still feel the need to do something for our own salvation, something to compensate for our sin – something more than the sacrifice of Jesus.

I know I do. If I snuggle enough with my kids, I can atone for yelling at them. If I am diligent to get up early every morning this week, I can use that to balance out any time I waste during the day. If I pray diligently for an hour, that will make up for the fact that I didn’t control my thoughts enough yesterday. If I work hard enough at this, I can overcome that shortcoming. If I do enough good in this area, I can make up for the bad I did in that area.

I am reminded through this week’s reading in Hebrews that my obedience is not about making an acceptable sacrifice. My obedience is about pouring out my love to my Savior. He was my sacrifice. There is nothing I can do to enhance that – it was perfect to begin with. My diligence will in no way make up for my failures. But, when done out of a heart of love, my diligence will draw me closer to my Savior in a beautiful relationship – the one for which I was created.

My challenge is “simple”: to change the motivation behind any good thing I do. To act out of love for the pleasure of my Savior, not as an attempt to continue offering sacrifices. The latter is futility. The former is fulfillment.

No comments: