Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Faithfulness & Contentment

A lot in my reading for this morning pointed to faithfulness. First, I was reading Hebrews 10. The author of this book is reminding his readers of their faithfulness during persecution, admonishing them to continue in that same faithfulness.

Then I flipped back to Isaiah. As I started chapter two, I noticed the references to the wealth of the Israelites. How they put faith in their plentiful provision and ease of life rather than in the God who had given it all to them.

I have a pretty easy life. Sure, we’ve struggled in the past. Sure, there are areas where we continue to struggle. But, all in all, my life is pretty secure and, in truth, has been for pretty much my entire life.

I confess I really like life to be easy. But, as I read Hebrews 10 and Isaiah 2, I see how an easy life can be hazardous to my spiritual health.

When Paul talks of learning the secret to contentment in Phil 4:12, I think it is important to realize that it’s as much of a challenge to be faithfully content in want as in need. In both times, there is much temptation to stray from God’s hand of provision. From doing things His way.

I don’t want to ask for persecution. But, I want to learn the contentment secret. I want to be faithful in both the easy life and in whatever persecution or suffering I may face on this earth. I don’t want any aspect of my life to rely on how comfortable my circumstances are. That is my challenge: faithfulness and contentment, no matter what.

No comments: