Monday, April 12, 2010

Sacrifice & Surrender

What I am willing to surrender for the sake of obedience to Christ?  I honestly have no idea what is soon to be asked of me.  All I do know is that as I read in both Romans and Exodus this morning, I knew I was being called to willingness.  Primarily to a willingness to make changes and sacrifices if that is what obedience requires. 

I don’t sacrifice well, to be honest.  Whether it be time, will, possessions, family, rights, beliefs – whatever it may be.  If I have any inclination that it belongs to me, I like to cling to it.  I am hesitant to surrender.  I am reluctant to release. 

And that attitude must go!

There have been times in my life when my reluctance to release has resulted in God ripping the very thing to which I cling from my tight grasp.  I can testify that when I require God to grow me in that way, it is infinitely more painful than any surrender or sacrifice.  Upon reflection, I inevitably regret not releasing my grip willingly.

I have no idea what God will be calling me to surrender.  There is no doubt that the command is forthcoming.  Not because I am feeling challenged today, but by the simple fact that I still have much to learn and far to grow.  Learning and growth are not possible without at least some measure of surrender – usually a great measure.

My challenge, therefore, is to cultivate an attitude of willingness.  To be prepared to surrender and sacrifice whatever He requires of me.  Regardless of the specific instruction, the act is one of the will.  Here and now I can be willing.  Here and now I can surrender my will. 

No comments: