Friday, April 23, 2010

Bold Communion

There I will meet with you; and from above the mercy seat, from between the two cherubim which are upon the ark of the testimony, I will speak to you about all that I will give you in commandment for the sons of Israel.  Exodus 25:22

The Holy of Holies had to have been a fascinating place to consider.  I think of the things that I have heard about but never seen, and I feel that sense of mystery and awe that comes with the unknown.  I can only imagine how the Israelites must have felt about the Holy of Holies.  A place where God Himself met with His people.  What a concept!

So few after Moses were truly able to enter the place where God met His people.  It was a greatly limited place.  A place of great fear and trembling.  A place where God’s people could only go after much cleansing.

But Jesus’ sacrifice changed that.  He opened the presence of God to me!  I do not have to journey to the temple and walk through to the Holy of Holies – nor do I have to stand outside while the high priest intercedes on behalf of an entire nation.  I can meet God right here where I sit in my living room! 

Oh, how I take that for granted!  So often, I hold back from prayer as if it were a forbidden room.  I don’t open my heart and truly commune with God.  Oh, how I snub the sacrifice of Christ simply by the fact that I do not truly pray!

My challenge and heart’s desire is to truly learn how to pray!  Heb 4:16 expresses our freedom to come boldly to the mercy seat – oh, may I be bold!  Oh, may I truly dive in to the full privilege of entering the presence of the most holy God!

No comments: