Sunday, April 25, 2010

Put on Christ

But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts.  Romans 13:14 (NASB)

Whenever I think of putting something on, I think of how visible it is.  The biggest example is clothing.  So much can be discerned from our clothing.  Personality.  Attitude about materialism.  Priorities.  And, even more immediate things such as our plans for today or our current emotional condition.

This verse in Romans talks about putting on Christ.  Putting on the Lord Jesus Christ should be as visible of a display as putting on my clothes each day.  When I live my daily life without Him visible in all I say and do, then I am not putting on Christ.  I am instead making provision for the flesh.  I am showing my priorities clearly – namely, me.  I am showing my attitude.  I am showing that my plans for the day are to please myself and the desires of my flesh, not to bring honor and glory to the Lord Jesus Christ.

This morning I put on a Sunday dress.  Soon I’ll be adding dress shoes, make-up, and an appropriate hairstyle.  If a stranger were to look at my family about an hour from now, it would be obvious that we were headed to church.  I am challenged to make putting on Christ that obvious.  Day in and day out.  I want to show that I am making no provision for the flesh, but only for the reflection of Jesus in all I do. 

No comments: