Monday, May 23, 2011

Sanctuary Minded

When I pondered to understand this, it was troublesome in my sight until I came into the sanctuary of God; then I perceived their end. Ps 73:16-17

The “this” that the psalmist is pondering is the success of the wicked. Asaph begins the Psalm by indicating that he can’t help but believe that God is good to the pure in heart (Ps 73:1), but he’s seeing the wicked and also can’t help but feel envious of their success (Ps 73:3). His envy was isso great that it almost causes him to stumble in his own walk of obedience and faith (Ps 73:2). But then something profound happens. Asaph enters the presence of the Lord and sees things from God’s eternal perspective. That alone is the cure for his envy, for that alone shows him the truth.

It is so easy for me to be sick over the news of this world. Natural disasters seem to abound. War is everywhere. Our nation is literally coming apart at the seams. And through it all, those who blatantly display their hatred for God and His people seem to be flourishing even while some of God’s children suffer unspeakable horrors. The view is bleak indeed.

Meanwhile, there’s my own selfish perspective. I don’t feel well today and yet have so much to do. I could easily wallow in all of my own frustrations and face this day overwhelmed.

But, oh, what a change is wrought when I simply step into the presence of God! When I do like Asaph and enter “the sanctuary of God,” everything changes. I begin to see God’s perspective. I don’t grieve less for the suffering around me, but I see it in light of His kingdom. And I definitely don’t complain about my minor, momentary issues when I am filled with the awareness of eternity.

I am challenged to be “sanctuary minded.” I don’t have a physical temple into which I can walk these days. Instead He dwells in me, and His presence is with me continually. I am challenged to remember that every moment of the day, that I may perceive every aspect of this world through the eyes of eternity.

No comments: