Sunday, May 29, 2011

Reminder

Therefore, I will always be ready to remind you of these things, even though you already know them, and have been established in the truth which is present with you. I consider it right, as long as I am in this earthly dwelling, to stir you up by way of reminder… 2 Peter 1:12-13

I have a negative view of having to be reminded of something. If I’ve told my children something, I don’t want to have to repeat it. If I’ve been told something I want to remember it.

Unfortunately, neither I nor my children have great memories. I am forever forgetting the most obvious of information. And, it seems a common question with my children is, “How many times have you been told…?”

We just don’t have great memories.

More often than not, I buck against being reminded of spiritual truths. But, Peter had the opinion that there was no shame in reminders. In fact, he thought pretty highly of them and seemed to indicate that they could never be overdone.

I am challenged in two ways here. First, I am challenged to never be scornful of reminders God sends my way. His reminders, coming from a plethora of sources, are not exasperation on His part because of my forgetfulness. Instead, they are indications of His desire to keep His truth ever before me; fresh, encouraging, and convicting. If I am ever reminded, I am never allowed to grow stale in my obedience.

Secondly, I am challenged to never withhold reminders. Not in a nagging manner, but in an encouraging one. In this way, I am offering grace and mercy to others in the same way God offers it to me. I am being a vessel of His fresh, encouraging, and even convicting reminders to others, just as so many are that vessel to me.

No comments: