Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Cease Striving

Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth. Ps 46:10

Just a few months ago I typed out a post about striving that involved this verse. I thought what I saw that day was pretty neat, but then I read the verse again this morning and saw even more.

The whole psalm is about the power that belongs to God to accomplish His will. He is able to be our refuge and help, no matter what happens around us. He is able to build up and destroy. He is able to make our hearts glad and to make the rebellious melt in fear. He is able.

After all of this description come the famous words…Cease striving (or, even more familiarly, Be still) and know that I am God…

It takes a lot of effort, energy, and strength for me to accomplish life. I work, I strive, I struggle. I try to persevere. I try to be diligent. But, at some point I wear out. I’m done. I just can’t keep up the pace. So, I falter. I fail. I lose my discipline.

The problem is that I am the one doing the striving. I’m trying to create my own refuge. I’m trying to find true abiding gladness. I’m trying to fight the mess of this world. And in doing so, I forget that He is God, and He can do it all with a thought or word.

Once again, God has to pull me back to this verse. Once again He has to remind me that He has it all under control. Why do I forget? Why do I doubt?

Today I am challenged to cease striving. Then again tomorrow. Then the next day. One day at a time until it becomes my habit. Until I don’t need to be reminded anymore because I always keep the thought before me.

No comments: