Saturday, May 21, 2011

Commands, Not Advice

Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who reside as aliens, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, who are chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, by the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood: May grace and peace be yours in the fullest measure. 1 Pet 1:1-2 (emphasis mine)

We put a lot of emphasis on coming into a relationship with Christ and being chosen for salvation. But the obedience thing is a little more uncomfortable for us. We might not admit it openly and publicly, but when we turn our teaching and preaching into relaying of suggestions from Scripture rather than commands, we are diminishing the importance of being called to obedience.

It’s comfortable to interpret what the Bible says as good, solid advice to me for living well. Then, I can simply say that I am willing to suffer the consequences of a slightly diminished quality of life in exchange for enjoying some of the things that the Bible says I should avoid. After all, it’s just advice, right?

But, if I view the Bible correctly – as God’s command to me in following Him – then choosing to act contrary to those commands is disobedience. Sin.

I am not called to have the option to live better if I will follow good advice. I am called to obedience. Period. No negotiation. No compromise. Pure obedience.

Verbally I claim to believe that God’s Word is my command for life. But, my daily actions do not live that out. I live like I’m following advice that some days I heed and other days I do not. I am called to obedience, not to heed advice. I am challenged to evaluate my life daily that I may live up to that calling and truly be a child of obedience. 

No comments: