Monday, May 9, 2011

Reckless Abandon

Something new struck me in the call of Isaiah today. In Isaiah 6:8-11 we find Isaiah answering the call that God puts out and then God explaining what would happen: Isaiah would speak, but the people would not listen.

Isaiah might have said, “Whoa, wait a minute! I was caught up in the magnificence of this moment, and I didn’t double-check first to see what you were asking me to do! I think I’ll pass after all.” But he didn’t. Even if he thought it, he didn’t do it. He didn’t go back on his commitment.

I like to know what I’m getting into before I say yes to something. I like to weight the pros and cons and evaluate all the aspects. That’s all well and good when it comes to earthly commitments. I need time to make sure they are what I should involve myself in. But I too often apply that to God’s commands and calls as well.

When God calls, I need to jump in with both feet. I don’t need to know what’s coming. I don’t need to evaluate the commitment. I just need to do. To follow. To obey. I need to be like Isaiah.

I am challenged to have a willing heart, one that jumps immediately in response without having to evaluate all the pros and cons. I want to follow in reckless abandon.

No comments: