Thursday, March 11, 2010

Learning & Righteousness

I’m not entirely sure how to put into words the thoughts that have been swirling through my heart and mind as I have read Romans.  Today I read Romans 2:17-29, and I was struck by the reminder that all my love for learning, all my growth and education, comes to naught unless I have the righteousness of Christ.  And yet, so often I grab onto the learning and run with it, convinced that now I suddenly have it all together just because I know new things.

Which brings me to a two-fold challenge.

I am challenged first of all to continue learning.  Oh, how I hunger for it!  And oh how God wants me to learn!  Even one glance at His Word shows how much He wants to reveal about Himself to us, His beloved children. 

I am further challenged, though, to learn with perspective – the perspective of God’s greatness and Christ’s righteousness in comparison to what I have learned.  In doing so, my pride can be kept in check as I realize that no amount of learning could ever open my mind to the fullness of God.  No amount of growth could ever achieve the righteousness that is required to spend eternity in His presence.

But thanks to the righteousness of Christ, all that I learn can be used to further bring honor and glory to the God I serve.  And that is increasingly my passion.

No comments: