Thursday, June 24, 2010

Zeal

So also you, since you are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek to abound for the edification of the church. 1 Cor 14:12 (NASB)

The context of this verse is a discussion on spiritual gifts, especially prophecy and tongues.  But, the thought that stood out to me was instead more focused on the idea of being zealous of something.  For all their faults, the Corinthians were at least zealous of spiritual gifts.  Maybe they just wanted the excitement, but sometimes even a zeal that has faulty initial motives can lead to growth in truth.  

I had to stop this morning and ask myself - am I zealous in any way?  Over the past few years I have read so many biographies of zealous believers, especially from the past two centuries.  Beyond that, the Bible is full of people zealous after God.  And where there is rightly placed zeal, awesome things happen.

Some of those awesome things are quite painful.  The story of Joseph in the Bible is not unique.  When people follow God, some rough things happen.  But, in each of those rough things, God brings about something beautiful and brings great glory to Himself.

At best any zeal I have is rather mellow.  I am zealous as long as it doesn't interfere in the life I think I want.  So, maybe I am zealous for my desires.  Whatever the case may be, Paul informed the Corinthians that their zeal needed to be for things that edified the body and brought glory to God.  Herein lies my challenge - to be zealous for the things that glorify God and edify the body.  May I grow immensely in such zeal!



No comments: