Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Eternally Minded

Why are we also in danger every day? I affirm, brethren, by the boasting in you which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.  1 Cor 15:30-31

In this entire chapter, Paul is combating teachings that introduce a denial of the resurrection.  He is reminding the Corinthians that if there is no resurrection, there is no reason to be followers of Christ. 

I wholeheartedly believe in the resurrection.  I agree that my faith is worthless if Christ is not raised, alive and sitting at the right hand of the Father to this very day.  But, as I read these two verses this morning, I had to ask myself:

Do I really live daily like I believe in the resurrection?

The resurrection is not only about Christ being raised from the dead in a triumphant conquering of sin and death.  It’s also about the reality and the promise that I, too, will be raised.  How much of my daily life reflects that? 

If I truly believe in the resurrection of all believers, then will I not live as Paul did – dying daily?  Do my daily activities reflect an eternal mindset or a temporal one?  Actions that promote the eternal kingdom of God or that simply sustain daily life here on earth? 

I am challenged to grow in an eternal mindset.  And, although I must care for the day to day earthly needs of myself and my family, I am challenged to make daily earthly sustenance secondary to that eternal mindset. 

No comments: