Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Audience

I read Luke chapters four and five today. As I did, a thought really began forming in my heart and mind – a personal theme of sorts from these two chapters.


As Jesus interacted with His audience in these two chapters, He did some things that He rarely did elsewhere in His ministry. In His hometown of Nazareth, it almost seems as if He was picking a fight – saying things that He knew would goad them into being angry with Him! And, it worked!


Meanwhile, when the paralytic is lowered through the roof in chapter five, Jesus' primary audience is Pharisees from around the region. (I personally think that's why the friends couldn't bring the paralytic in through the door – the Pharisees weren't about to move to make room for the common people to take center stage!) Before healing the man, Jesus tells him his sins are forgiven. That is not for the man's benefit – that is for the benefit of the Pharisees, and they didn't like it!


In both situations, there is one significant commonality – Jesus has discernment and sensitivity to His audience.


I have a passion for sharing through teaching, speaking, singing, and individually counseling. But, I frequently get caught up in my methods. I have a way of sharing things. I have certain habits. I do things in certain order. Sometimes it's great, but other times the message and the messenger both fall flat on their faces!


I am challenged to be less caught up in my methods and more submissive to the leadership and discernment of the Holy Spirit. That does not by any means indicate that I should put aside those methods. It also is far from meaning that I should just close the Bible and “let the Spirit lead as He will.” Not by a long shot!! He leads through His Word, and nothing will contradict that! What I do need is to hold less tightly to my methods and pay a little more attention to what the Spirit is telling me about the audience He wishes to reach.


Oh, and on a side note – in neither of these situations did Jesus tickle their ears. He didn't make it easier on His audience. Instead, in both situations, He made things more difficult for them! I want so much for people to be pleased with what I present. But more than likely when I am following the leadership of the Holy Spirit in presenting His message the truth is that although some will be broken and some will be encouraged, many will be downright mad! I have to be able to accept that and realize I have not failed just because people don't like what I have to say!


No comments: