Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Bondservant

I’m not sure that a distinct verse stands out to me today as much as a thought. I could possibly trace the idea back to Titus 2:9-10 where Paul is giving Titus instructions regarding the teaching of slaves. But, really, my thoughts go beyond that.

Doug and I watched Spartacus last week, spread out over the course of about three days. The character that seemed to have the most depth was Varinia, the fictional wife of Spartacus. Regardless of her personal feelings or desires, regardless of her joy or pain, Varinia served. Diligently. Patiently. Fully. Whether she was slave or free, she served.

It is easy to compartmentalize my life into being slave to sin versus free in Christ. But, when I think of life that way, how often do I throw off any attitude of complete servitude? How often do I determine that, because I am “free” I can do it all my own way?

When I have that attitude toward my daily life, I grow selfish. And, to be honest, everything begins to slide. I can no longer be the wife I am supposed to be. I do not excel as a mother or teacher. My house is not kept and my schedule falls apart. As I look back at Titus 2:9-10, I can clearly see that were I to truly consider myself as a bond-servant to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, I would be much more useful to Him both in attitude and deed. And, in all honesty, usefulness to Christ is the only true usefulness in this life.

I am challenged to have the daily attitude of a slave of Christ, to truly be His in every aspect of life.

No comments: